background

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Happy Birthday Landry!



Today is a big day in our house as it is Landry's birthday!!!




And as much as this day is full of celebration, this day can't go by in my head without a bit of sadness on my heart. Let me explain.

Don't get me wrong.  I am feeling super happy that she is home with us and is able to celebrate her day!  As far as we know, this is her first birthday celebration.  Most of you that know me know that I love to celebrate birthdays....heck, I love to celebrate anything so it was super fun to spoil her today.  We decided to not have a big birthday party for her this year. We just think it is too soon and she just wouldn't enjoy it as she is usually glued to our hips with any more than our immediate family/close friends in the room. So as much as it breaks my creative heart to not plan the most AWESOME Yo Gabba Gabba party, I will have to settle for a Kelli-made Yo Gabba Gabba cake and a yummy family pasta dinner for our pasta lovin' 2 year old!

I am also feeling a bit sad today.  You see we aren't for certain that this is the exact day she was born as there was no note with her when she was found. But given that this time of year has been estimated as to when she was born 2 years ago, my heart breaks for her birth mother at this time.  I ache for her to know how so very loved Landry is and that we applaud her for choosing life and for leaving her in a safe place.  (We know that her abandonment was out of love because of where she was left.)  I just pray today that God places peace in her heart every year this time of year and that she will somehow know that it is ok and our girl is doing great!

 


We have had a fantastic summer and she has adjusted so well since my last post.  She definitely has her moments so I would say that between 4-6 in the afternoon is not the best time to enter my house as she is super cranky, hungry, tired, etc.  The way she communicates with us now is screaming at us which is quite comical for the first 5 minutes but then......

She is certainly holding her own with the boys and loves to wrestle them.  The minuted they sit or lay on the floor she is crawling all over them. And boy do they love her!!!!  Their relationship with her has made my heart grow a mile.  It is just the cutest thing to see them love on her and make her laugh.  

She has picked up some additional sign language which has helped a ton and she has also started to talk a little.   Her most common things to say are "Hi" "All-bun" (all done) "I lu loo" (I love you) "Eye" (as she points to her eye)  "Ehhhh" (Ellie)  & "mama" (but mostly when she is whining)  If I ask her to say "mama" on command she usually shakes her head no at me, that Lil Stinker!!!  She loves giving hugs and kisses and has become quite fond of music requesting "Up a baa" while pointing her fingers in the air. (that would be her sign for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star).


She has overcome so big fears!  Yay, Landry!


She sure does love Ellie!

Grass??? Ehhhh, no biggie now!

And this girl now loves to swing!!!



We are working on her fear of sand weekly in therapy as we are a beach family so this girl needs to be A-O-K with sand by May!  I think in my last update I mentioned that she had failed her hearing and vision test at our pediatrician visit.  Well, she got glasses a few weeks ago and boy have they made a difference.  Not to mention she is just the cutest thing with them on!



The day she got them she just kept pointing at everything!  It was amazing and when the boys got home from school that day she just kept going up to them and waving as if she was thinking, "Well, now that I can see you, Hello there!"  

We go next week for her ABR which is a more extensive hearing test.  Keep her in your prayers as they will have to sedate her and this mama is a bit nervous for all of it.  We also have a follow up appointment with the Neurologist this week.  I think he will be pleased with her improvement as we have been working hard at PT and OT every week.  Once we get the results from the ABR, we will start Speech Therapy, hopefully in a few weeks.

Other than that all is good in the Munkel house.....busy but good!  Boys are back in school so it is nice for everyone to be on a schedule. Wyatt has joined Brax at our elementary school so they really enjoy riding the bus together everyday.




Oh, big news!  I finally decided to stay home which has been a nice change so as the boys had their first day of school I had my last day of work, hahahaha!





But don't worry, I am going to keep my self plenty busy now that I am back in the groove of things so stay tuned for some exciting updates on my future plans!

Kelli

  





No comments:

Post a Comment