background

Friday, May 29, 2015

Beihai trip, last day in Guangxi & more!!!

It is Saturday afternoon here and I know that I am a few days behind in posting.  Landry wants only me at this moment so usually when she is sleeping, I am too!  She is warming up to Brett more and more but still will not let him hold her.  We have decided from this point on to let Brett feed her as much as he can with her in my lap.  This girl loves food so maybe that will be the trick!  I am hoping she will be good to go by Thursday or this will be one long flight home!

So let's go back a few days....

On Thursday we traveled as a group to our children's orphanages.  They were about 3 hour drive each way so away we went flying down the highway with no carseats, babies in lap and backpacks filled with snacks.  It was a bumpy ride at times but amazing to get out of the city and see the countryside.  You don't often think of China having a countryside.


Leaving the city....



It was a 3 hour wrestling match with this girl who was quite tired of sitting on my lap!  I think she ate about 400 Baby Mum Mums!


Beihai is located on the southern coast of China so there are many fishing boats.


Very much what I had pictured in my mind.



We did a bit of shopping on old street which is about 800 years old. I was able to get some sea glass bracelets for her any myself and a few things for the boys as well.  Brett got some big rock that reminds him of bacon....hahaha, he cracks me up!



We had another fantastic lunch thanks to our foodie friend, David!  I am going to miss REAL Chinese food!!!!



This girl loved her congee and mama enjoyed an ice cold coke!



These are the gates to Beihai Social Welfare Institute.  This is where Landry spent most of her life, up to this point, at least.  In addition to orphans, there is also a section for the elderly.  I just stood here in awe imagining her as a newborn and what her parents must have felt leaving her here.  Her exact finding spot will be something that we will tell her one day when she wants to know. So, in the meantime, we will keep that information to our family.



Landry was not so sure at first and really wouldn't go to anyone.  I felt bad because her nannies wanted to interact with her and love on her but she wanted nothing to do with them.  She would immediately come back to my arms or make a beeline for me if she saw them approaching her.  Her main nanny was not here that day.  I was a bit bummed not to meet her in person but we have pictures of her.  I am hoping that this was a God thing and maybe it was best for our girl that she was not there.




They kept saying "Hei BeiBei" to her....sounds very much like "Hey Baby."  I asked our guide, David, what they were saying.  He said that was her nickname.  It means "dark baby" because of her dark complexion!  We were cracking up!!!  I also had the chance to ask our guide what her Chinese given name means.  Guo Chenxin means "Kingdom of the Wonderful Morning"- so beautiful!



This is the lady who was first to hold Landry when she was found!  We had her write a note to Landry telling her what she thought about her as a baby and what her hopes and dreams are for her.  I can't wait to have it translated one day!  We also left with a memory book that is filled with pictures and notes about our girl.  It is all in Chinese so will need to be translated as well.




This one lil guy was Landry's cribmate.  He was so precious and kept wanting to sit in my lap but she would have none of it!  I was really bummed not to be able to play with the other kids but so excited that she was so attached to me already.  We were able to leave with no issues of wanting to stay.  She was most content for me to scoop her up and walk right out.



On Friday, we had a lazy day of packing, more great lunch and then headed to the airport.  Landry got her passport and we were ready to fly to Guangzhou where the last week of our trip would take place. We said goodbye to David....which was hard because he is just the BEST!!!


We got to our hotel late last night and went straight to bed.  Here is our girl soundly sleeping in her bed.  I left the crib side down so that I could get to her easily if she woke in the night.  In the middle of a dead sleep last night I felt this little hand rubbing my arm.  It was her.  She had scooted all the way to the side of the bed and had her arm draped up so that she could touch me.  Awe, be still my heart!



And who doesn't love cute baby toes???  Especially "all lady like" baby toes:)



We had a great night sleep and woke to a happy girl this morning.  She is finally started to wake up and be comfortable with her surroundings instead of waking in terror and screaming.  We had breakfast and then headed with our group of 11 families....yes, 11 families.....to the medical appointment this morning.  We have a huge bus and it is so fun to see all these kiddos with their new families!  And I am finally embracing China humidity and refusing to even dry my hair....why bother!



We had 3 stations to visit.  The nurses station was first, then the ENT (above) and final stop was the general screenind by the MD.  She was so upset- I am telling you, she is terrified of strangers approaching her.  Breaks my heart!



Here she is with the doctor (before she started screaming and threw her head back into the wall).  He did confrim developmental delay, which we already knew as she is not walking and has some motor skill issues.  We are both very anxious to get back home and to our doctors so that we can start getting her better care.  Please pray for her health specifically as we are in a bit of unknown right now.  We are trying not to let our thoughts or google get the best of us and trying to take each day by day but it is hard being so anxious to getting home.

We have some fun days ahead of shopping and touring the city and then our final adoption Consulate appointment on June 2nd.

5 more days and we are Georgia bound!!!

xo-
Kelli




















No comments:

Post a Comment